First, I would like to introduce myself. I am Kasun Lakpriya Hettige from Sri Lanka, following a computer science and engineering degree in University of Moratuwa. I am willing to do my higher studies in Software Engineering field.
For those who are not heard of the project here are few links:
- Idea by Steve Swinsberg: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Google+Summer+of+Code+2011+ideas+list#GoogleSummerofCode2011ideaslist-
- Confluence space for app: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/CLEMBL/Home
Idea of this project is to build an mobile application for Sakai CLE to use in many kinds of mobile platforms like Android, iOS, BlackBerry and etc. For this we are using a cross platform library called phoneGap. More details about phoneGap http://www.phonegap.com/.
Tools and technologies
Though the app is going to be ported with different platforms due to some limitations I am developing for Android to test in emulators. Here are my working environment details:
- Eclipse (3.5 or higher)
- Android SDK
- ADT plug-in
- JQuery mobile - http://jquerymobile.com/
- MDS AppLaud 1.2 PhoneGap for Android plug-in - This is optional but useful due to its inbuilt,
- phoneGap support
- HTML, JS and CSS project support
- Touch-Optimized UI frame support for popular jQuery mobile and Sencha Touch JS libraries at the moment
- All in one support is a big plus for me
NOTE: To use AppLaud you need Eclipse Helios.
As discussed with mentor I will be moving forward with jQuery mobile for now. Here are few screens of the app.
Your ideas, comments are welcome all the time and will really helpful to come up with a nice product. And the best place to collaborate and to get more information about the project would be the above mentioned confluence space. I will be posting here with the progress and the things I will get to know in the meantime. So I hope that anybody who is willing develop mobile apps using these technologies will find this interesting.
Thanking Charith for helping hand with Photoshop and Avinash for some sample screens! :-)